Thursday, August 25, 2016

Banana Blueberry Bread

This summer I have done an awful lot of baking so be prepared for some sweet treats headed your way. Don’t worry, I’ve swapped out all of the unhealthy ingredients and traded them in for more natural sweeteners. Sugar is by far the devil when it comes to keeping my curves smooth rather than bumpy. I’ve worked hard to change my diet and eat clean when I can. This banana blueberry bread is no exception. It is sweetened with honey, fresh blueberries, and ripe bananas.
I was inspired to make this bread by my little sister. There is quite an age gap between us as she is 7 and I am 24. Growing up I was an only child so I was a little shocked when, at 17 my parents told me I was going to have a baby sister. Even with the age gap, we have so much in common and it is evident that we are indeed sisters. Just as I love to cook, so does my sister. Whenever she comes and spends the night we always make it a point to bake something together. This time she got to pick.
Just as my husband, my sister Paige is quite the picky eater. I knew she would be hard to please by taking out the sugar from this bread. I couldn’t use my go-to whole wheat flour because she has made it clear it is not her favorite. I made this recipe with white flour but I would like to try it with the whole wheat on the next go around. As we were making this dish together she made it known that she was skeptical about using honey and applesauce and claimed it would not be “sweet enough.” This aside, we put the batter in the pan and popped it in the oven to bake. 
About half way through the baking process the blueberry and banana bread aroma started to fill my house. Every five minutes Paige was asking if it was ready to take out of the oven to eat. It does take a while to bake but this is one big loaf of bread. The honey makes this bread a little more dense but the applesauce keeps it moist. When replacing sugar with honey, it helps to add an extra ½ tsp of baking soda; it will help to make the bread rise. 
Finally, after longing to eat this scrumptious smelling bread, it was time. It came out of the oven perfectly browned and slid out of the pan with ease. We could only let it cool for about ten minutes before we had to dig in. The colors are gorgeous when you cut into this bread. You will see small chunks of banana and whole blueberries swirled throughout each flavor packed piece. This is a great dessert bread or you can eat it for breakfast if you don’t mind a sweet wake up call. Personally, I’ll be eating this bread for both. I hope you enjoy! What are your favorite breads to make?


Recipe
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 45 mins

Ingredients
½ cup applesauce
¾ cup honey
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 large bananas
1 ½ cups blueberries + 1 tbsp flour
2 cups flour
1 ½ tsps baking soda
½ tsp salt

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees 

  2. Combine all dry ingredients in small bowl and set aside

  3. Mash bananas and add vanilla, eggs, honey, and applesauce. Whisk together until well combined.

  4. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until combined. 

  5. Toss the blueberries in 1 tbsp of flour and fold it into the wet mixture. 

  6. Place mixture into greased loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes of until golden brown.






No comments:

Post a Comment