Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Meaty Zucchini Skillet

Ground beef isn’t something I can typically transform into a flavorful masterpiece. I find that it takes a lot of seasoning and added flavors to make a delicious meaty meal. This recipe is full of flavor and packed with a little bit of spice. I cooked this recipe a lot when Jay and I were doing the Whole30 and it never disappointed.
  
Anyone who knows me knows that I have a very low tolerance for spice. My best friend and I will always joke because anytime I think anything she cooks is spicy, she needs to add at least a teaspoon more of cayenne pepper to her dish to kick up the heat. In fact, I usually steer clear of any spicy foods. I decided to give it a whirl in this dish to give the meat a little something extra.  
If you’re like my best friend than you’re going to want to add a lot more cayenne pepper to your dish than I did. I used about ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper in this dish and the hint of spiciness is there. It comes through as an after taste as you finish up your first bite and dive in for more. 
To the browned beef I added a can of unsalted diced tomatoes and 1 to 1 ½ finely sliced zucchini. This would be really good with thick cut zucchini so it stays a little crunchy or spiralize the zucchini and top it with the ground beef and tomatoes. This recipe is very simple and quick to make. In total it took me under 30 minutes. Cooking in a short amount of time is especially key to me these days. I headed back to school this week and even with no kids there yet, I am exhausted. The last thing I want to do when I come home is prep a million things and cook dinner. Keep this recipe in mind when you have a long day at work or if you’re simply feeling hangry and just can not wait to eat; which is how I am most days when I get home from work (my husband can attest to that). This dish is perfect for two and great for leftovers the next day. I hope you enjoy this yummy dish! What are some other ways you incorporate ground beef into your meals? I’d love to hear from you!
 
 
Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
 
Ingredients
 
¼ lb ground beef
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (increase if you like spicy)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can unsalted diced tomatoes; drained
1-1 ½ thinly sliced zucchini
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
 
Directions
  1. Heat olive oil in pan and brown ground beef. Season beef with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper
  1. Add diced tomatoes and zucchini. Mix well.

  1. Let simmer on low for 10 minutes until zucchini is tender

  1. Serve alone or over rice
 
 

1 comment:

  1. 1/8th of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper?! 😂 Step aside sistah

    ReplyDelete