Monday, August 22, 2016

Healthy Zucchini Bread Muffins



 Welcome to Cooking With Kaytlyn. Since this is my first post, I wanted to fill you in on the inspiration behind my blog. About two months ago I married my wonderful husband Jay. I could go on and on about how wonderful and supportive this man is. Over our years together he has made me a more confident woman, feel beautiful, and encourages me to be the best I can be.
About 7 months ago, we decided that we needed to start getting into healthy eating habits. Not only to look better for our wedding but to live a healthier lifestyle. It was then that I learned about the Whole30. I did lots of research before going into this month long diet and decided Jay and I would be better for doing it. It was the most disciplined thing I have done and it was worth it. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to break bad eating habits.
After the Whole30, my food mindset had totally changed. I realized that I could indulge in my sweet tooth without sabotaging my workout, or create a flavorful dinner that was both filling and guilt free. Healthy eating isn’t always easy. It takes time, patience, and is filled with trying lots of new things.
Since most of you don’t know my husband I will let you in on a little secret; he is the pickiest eater I have ever met. If it were up to him we would have chicken and rice every night for dinner, followed by chocolate chip cookies. I can’t blame the man, that sounds delicious; but if we did that we would both become overweight very quickly. I try here and there to introduce new things into his diet or sneak them in where I can; enter zucchini bread muffins.
Imagine my shock when my husband, a man who eats as many vegetables as you can count on one hand, comes home and tells me a friend at work brought in zucchini bread and that he actually enjoyed it! I can’t tell you how fast I ran to the store to grab some fresh zucchini and bake a batch of muffins. I decided on the muffins so it would be easy for Jay to grab and go to work. It’s always a struggle to find quick and healthy breakfast foods, but I think this one is a winner. These muffins are super moist and the cinnamon and nutmeg gives it a fall taste. What are your go to breakfast recipes? Happy baking!

Recipe
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 35-40 mins
Total Time 1 hour

1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
2 tsps. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
½ cup honey
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
cup coconut oil melted
1 egg
2 tsps. vanilla
2 cups zucchini (about 3 small zucchinis shredded)
Dark chocolate shavings (optional)

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F and coat your muffin pan with nonstick spray. Finely shred three zucchini and set aside. 

2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl and whisk together. 

3. In a separate bowl combine honey, applesauce, melted coconut oil, egg, and vanilla. Whisk until all ingredients are well incorporated. 

4. Add about half of the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and whisk until combined. 

5. Add your shredded zucchini to the other half of the dry ingredients. Stir until zucchini is well coated with the dry mixture. 

6. Gently fold in the zucchini mixture into the wet mixture. *If you are using dark chocolate, now is the time to grate it and fold it in. You could also use chocolate chips of your choosing.

7. Fill the muffin tins about ¾ full and gently pat down. 

8. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown on the outside. Muffins will be moist and center will remain soft.








No comments:

Post a Comment