Thursday, September 13, 2018

Why I Joined Beautycounter


If you haven't already figured it out, I have joined Beautycounter as a consultant! I am super excited for this opportunity for so many different reasons. I love teaching and I absolutely love what I do but I always wished I could be doing something in the makeup or skincare industry. I love to try new products, talk about products, and push anything I am loving on anyone that will listen - sorry (but not really sorry) to my BFFs that constantly hear me raving about any product that I’ve tried and loved. When I started to learn about Beautycounter I was really intrigued but nervous to start my own business not knowing what the outcome would be. Finally I took the plunge, thanks to the help of my mentor, and I am so glad I did. I haven't felt this excited or motivated to do work after a full day of teaching in a while!

Being a part of Beautycounter means more than just talking about skincare and makeup. They are a business that is changing the beauty industry by making safer products. Everyday I am learning more and more about this company that tests all their ingredients rigorously before putting it in a product with the Beautycounter label. Not many other companies in the US can say that they are putting in this much effort to produce high quality products with safer and cleaner ingredients.

As I’ve gotten older I have become less naive about food, products, and my body. At the grocery store I am seeing more and more produce and meats with organic stickers and even processed foods in organic packaging. It is scary to know that all the produce without those organic stickers are grown in fertilizer with chemicals, sprayed with insecticides, and use growth hormones. You might be thinking okay great but how does that affect me? While the organic food does not necessarily taste better why spend more money for something that tastes pretty much the same? But let me ask you, do you want all of the residual chemicals entering your body while you’re eating the produce? The answer is probably no. If you already take care of what is going into your body, do you also think about what you’re putting on your skin? Our skin absorbs more than 60% of anything that we put on it. Let me share with you a few very scary statistics:
  • There are more than 85,000 chemicals registered for use, with thousands more hitting the market every year
  • In the United States, more than 4 billion pounds of toxic chemicals are released into the environment each year, including 72 million pounds of recognized carcinogens. Of the top 20 chemicals discharged to the environment, nearly 75% are known or suspected to be toxic to the developing human brain
  • More than 200 synthetic chemicals—many of them known to be toxic—were found in the bodies of nearly all Americans, including newborn infants, who are exposed to these chemicals in utero
  • Difficulty in conceiving and maintaining a pregnancy affected 40% more women in 2002 than in 1982. From 1982 to 1995, the incidence of reported difficulty almost doubled in younger women ages 18-25.
  • One in eight women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime; 40 years ago, it was one in 10.37. Only half of these cases can be tied to traditional risk factors like genetic inheritance, diet, and reproductive history. That’s hundreds of thousands of women diagnosed with no known risk factors

Often times I say ignorance is bliss but this should not be ignored. YOU can control what goes into your body and on your body so why aren't you doing it? Please don’t think I am pushing Beautycounter on you, I’m really not. I am just one girlfriend sharing to another girlfriend about the hazards that we are facing in pretty packaging and glittery lip gloss. Believe me, it was so hard to give up some of my favorite skincare products but the Beautycounter products are now becoming my favorites. They are such high quality and work even better than most of my tried and true products. Honestly, I haven't given up everything but you have to start somewhere, even if you swap out your face or body wash it is a step.

If I am no longer in the bliss of ignorance with skincare and beauty products, you better believe I am going to spread the word. If you feel impassioned by this post, please reach out to me and we can take this journey together! Stay healthy! Xoxo

*All statistics from fda.gov
*Quote in picture: Tony Robbins


2 comments:

  1. I am so excited that you joined this company and are adding your voice to this mission as well as your expertise in all things skin care and beauty!!! It is so exciting to love what you do and, with teaching our children every day and educating others on safer ingredients so they can become healthier, you are making such a positive impact on so many lives!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica!! That was so kind and sweet of you to say!!

      Delete