Saturday, June 24, 2017

Banana Pancakes

There's nothing better than weekend breakfast. I try to make a big breakfast either Saturday or Sunday, and this weekend it happened to be today. Can you tell which plate is mine and which is my husbands?
I love banana pancakes. There's something about the sweetness of the banana combined with the rich flavor of real maple syrup. They go together so perfectly! I added some strawberries on top of mine, which I don't normally do, but now I don't think I'll ever do without them again.
Now onto the good stuff, ingredients! I love taking recipes and adapting them to my own liking. I found this recipe here but I made a few changes. Often I find recipes that I really want to try but they can have some high fat/calorie ingredients. There is no reason to look at a recipe that calls for butter and think I can't make this recipe! I used to think that way, but there are so many ways to substitute with a lighter choice.
Here are my favorite substitutions: 
applesauce for butter
unsweetened coconut milk for milk
coconut oil for butter/other oils
whole wheat flour for white flour
molasses for brown sugar
How did I get so off track?! I just have so much I want to share with you all! Back to the banana pancakes. It's really important for this recipe that the bananas are very ripe. This is your only source of sweetness for these pancakes. If the bananas are not ripe you will have very bland pancakes sitting on your plate and a frown on your face as you take your first bite. If you choose to make them anyway, add a little bit of vanilla extract to add some sweetness.
I think the most important thing to remember when making pancakes is knowing when to flip the pancakes. It's important to keep your skillet or pan on a low temperature and only flip the pancakes when you begin to see bubbles on top and the edges start to firm up. If you flip them too early, you will most likely have some gooey batter left on the inside as you cut into your pancakes. What you want it light and fluffy with chunks of that sweet banana!
I also made some potatoes with salt and pepper and 2 eggs for my husband! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did! What are your favorite weekend breakfasts? 

print recipe
Banana Pancakes
A lighter version of sweet banana pancakes!
Ingredients
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (or milk of choice)
  • 2 eggs
Instructions
1. Mash bananas. 2. Whisk eggs and coconut milk into the mashed bananas. 3. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture. 4. Whisk until smooth (there will still be some lumps because of the bananas)5. Preheat and grease a skillet or pan.6. Drop the batter (about 1/4 cup) onto the skillet.7. Turn when the edges become firm and the top begins to bubble. 8. Top with your favorite fruit and syrup then enjoy!
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment