Saturday, July 1, 2017

Niagra Falls

We’ve been on vacation for the last week so I didn’t do much cooking or have much time to sit down and do a post. Jay and I went to Niagra Falls in Canada for our first wedding anniversary, and it was so much fun! I thought it would be fun to share some of the things we did in Niagra Falls! First of all, if you haven’t visited Niagra Falls I highly recommend it. The Falls are the most magical and mystical things I have ever seen. They took my breath away when I first saw them. Their size and power are indescribable.
We stayed right in the middle of the small city surrounding the Falls, which I would definitely recommend. We could walk everywhere and we used their WeGo bus system. I’ll link the package here that we used to explore the Falls. It was the perfect way to see everything we wanted to and get around the city. Another benefit to staying right in Niagra Falls was the surrounding attractions. There were SO many restaurants, adventure parks, arcades, rides, and touristy things to do. If you have kids, this is the holy grail of how to keep them busy and happy. Warning: be prepared to spend some money. Obviously going on vacation you go in with that mindset, but really everything is a bit more expensive there and everything had a $6 parks fee, it was our running joke the whole time we were there. Not that I am complaining! All of the fee money goes to keeping the Falls and the area around it maintained and beautiful for tourists like us.
The first thing we did and the most fun thing we did was the Hornblower ferry into the falls. Basically it’s a huge ferry that brings you past the American Falls and then into the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. When I say into I don’t mean near the falls I mean you’re basically right next to the falls! As we got closer and closer we began to feel the spray from those majestic beasts, hence the fabulous- and oh so stylish- red ponchos. When the ferry got to the falls it was breathtaking. Literally breathtaking because there was so much water spraying in my face that I couldn’t breath! But once I got over that and wiped away the loads of mascara running down my face (note: wear waterproof mascara) I got to see the beautiful falls up close. It was like no other experience I've ever had.
The next thing we did was the White Water Walk. This is about a ½ mile walk along the rapids of the Niagra River. The rapids are moving about 24 mph and the waves are over 10 feet high! This was another breathtaking sight and another thing I highly recommend.  
We also did another tour behind the falls (waterproof mascara not required) which was second best to the Hornblower ferry. Basically we took an elevator down about 250 feet down and ended up in the tunnels that were dug long long ago. We got to explore the tunnels and read about the Falls; did you know that the Falls were once dried up for a few years so scientists and experts could study the rocks and earth behind them? Really interesting stuff! Two if the tunnels lead you directly behind the falls. We got to see the power that’s behind those magnificent falls. The last tunnel leads you out to a small landing right next to the edge of one of the Falls. We were lucky that it was overcast that day so we captured the Falls in all their glory.
Overall we had an amazing time. We even went over to Toronto to catch a Blue Jays game. The stadium there is really nice and clean (that’s important to me). Jay has a bucket list to see as many baseball stadiums as he can. So far he’s visited 5 out of the 30, so he has we have a lot more to see!
There were so many other amazing things we did in Niagra Falls,  but I don’t want to give all the magic away! If you have any questions I’d be happy to answer them! What are your summer vacation plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment