Friday, August 25, 2017

Baked Lemon Chicken

I had a three night slumber party with my sister this week, hence the no new blog posts. I love spending longer periods of time with her because I don’t get to do it too frequently. We had so much fun and while it was so nice having her, it feels good to be back to my routine. Keeping an 8 year old entertained is a lot of work and very tiring; hats off to all you working mamas out there! It definitely gave me a glimpse of what it'll be like to have my own kids...someday! My sister, like my husband, is a very picky eater. If I blogged about what we ate you’d be pretty bored. We ate chicken, chicken, and more chicken. Oh, and mashed potatoes. Lucky for you, last week I made this delicious chicken recipe. It is packed with lemon and perfect for summer because of the light and fresh flavors.


Jay loves chicken. We have it almost every night so I am constantly looking for new ways to cook it up. I like using lemon because it tends to keep the chicken more moist while adding flavor. I’ve made this chicken twice already so I thought I would share some tips for cooking.


Marinate a few hours
While this is not required, I did notice that the chicken soaks up a lot more of the flavors. The first time I made them I just dipped the chicken in the lemon-egg mixture. The chicken came out delicious, however, the second time I made them I let it marinade all day in the mixture and the flavors came through a lot more.


Pound it flat
This step is not necessary but the chicken will cook more quickly and add a bit more of a crunch. I simply lay saran wrap over the chicken and flatten it with a meat tenderizer.


Use almond flour instead of breadcrumbs
Breadcrumbs make the chicken crispy and crunchy, but they are not the best when you’re trying to cut back on carbs. Try using almond flour as the breading versus the breadcrumbs. You will still get the crispy breaded texture it just won't be as crunchy.


Skip the cheese
I based this recipe off of a baked chicken parmesan recipe. If you skip the cheese I promise you you will not miss it. By using the lemon, you’re not missing any flavor and you cut back on some calories- woot!


Choosing the sides
The first time I made this chicken I had sweet potato and my greek salad for a side. The second time I made this chicken my sides were cheese tortellini, salad, green beans, and corn on the cob. One night we had company and the other we did not. Can you guess which time was which? This chicken can be paired with so many sides, it’s so versatile!


I hope you enjoy this baked lemon chicken recipe. What are your favorite ways to make chicken? Happy eating!




print recipe

Baked Lemon Chicken
Ingredients
  • 1 pound chicken breast
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsps (juice of half) lemon
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2-1 cup almond flour
  • 2 tsps minced garlic
Instructions
1. Whisk together egg, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Set aside.2. Flatten chicken (optional) then add to egg mixture. Refrigerate for a few hours (also optional).3. Dunk chicken in egg mixture than dip into almond flour. Make sure it is fully coated in the almond flour. 4. Lay on a greased pan and cook for 30-40 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment