Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Whole Grain Waffles

On the weekends, my husband and I like to enjoy a big breakfast together. We’ve been doing this since we have lived together and it’s a great way to start our day. I try to make pancakes or waffles once a week so I like to ensure that they are made in the most figure friendly way. I found the recipe for these waffles here and it was already low in sugar and carbs. I did make some small tweaks and I love how they came out!

If I am being honest I gave up on making waffles that fit my whole30 diet. I decided that I just wouldn't be able to eat them that way because I’ve tried using coconut flour and almond flour and then no flour and they were so bad. One burned as soon as it hit the waffle iron, can you guess which ones they were? Hint: they had no flour! The ones I made with coconut and almond flour had the worst mealy texture - yuck! So if you have any tried and true whole30 waffles, let your girl know.
For these waffles I just wanted to make a relatively sugar free recipe with basic components that would actually taste good. I was initially attracted to this recipe because of the cinnamon and nutmeg components. I’m totally getting into the fall mode and this fit the bill! I made the swap for whole grain flour because I wanted these waffles to be hearty and filling. I also cut the oil in half and used unsweetened applesauce to compensate for the oil loss. I would’ve completely swapped out the oil for applesauce but when I have done this in the past with waffles, they don’t get crispy enough. I felt confident that this was going to be a winning recipe! I was nervous while making these because the batter was so thick, but don’t let that put you off. Once they were cooked they came out with the most beautiful outer crunch and the softest insides. I think that’s what everyone is looking for in a waffle, am I right?
One of my biggest pet peeves is eating cold food. Cooking everything to be ready at the same time is not easy and requires some skill. I have pretty much mastered when to cook the eggs while the pancakes are cooking, or how long to wait before I put the breakfast potatoes in the oven. But what’s really tricky is using a waffle iron that only makes one waffle at a time. By the time you’re done with the last waffle, your first one has already been done for about 15 minutes which means it is cold as ice! I’ve tried keeping them under a plate, sticking them in the microwave, and wrapping them with foil. All of these are great tricks but they don’t keep the waffles warm and crispy. I find the waffles begin to fall limp and soggy - ew! Gwen, from Delightful Adventures had an amazing trick. As the waffles come out of the iron, put them on a wire wrack on a pan and place them in a 200 degree oven. Genius! This trick actually worked. Do you know how much joy that gave me? Probably an embarrassing amount but I do not care! Thank you so much for the tip, Gwen! I loved sitting down at the table and getting to eat hot waffles with my husband. Speaking of husband,  I absolutely hate when everything is ready and Jay is not. He learned very quickly that when I say breakfast is ready, he better get his booty to the table ASAP or he has to deal with my wrath (love you, babe).

Try this recipe. It is Jay approved, which if you’ve been following me for a while you know that he is the pickiest eater. Let me know what you think! Happy eating!


print recipe

Whole Grain Waffles
Hearty waffles that will keep you full all morning!
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 tbps coconut oil (melted and cooled)
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsps vanilla extract
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
Instructions
1. Melt coconut oil and set aside to cool.2. Combine milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and applesauce. 3. Slowly whisk in flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. 4. Add coconut oil. If batter is too dry add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until it is at a desired consistency. The batter will be thick. 5. Heat a waffle iron and add about two big scoops of the batter to the iron. 6. Serve hot with maple syrup!
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 waffles
*recipe adapted from Delightful Adventures

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that your picky eater approved of the waffles! Also glad that you find the "keeping your waffles warm" trick is helpful :) Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete