Sunday, July 2, 2017

Chocolate Chip Banana Oat Muffins

I am not exaggerating when I say that I make these muffins every single week. My husband eats them for breakfast during the workweek and they are a much better alternative to regular bakery muffins.

These muffins are delicious. They are made without refined sugar or flour which is a major bonus in my opinion. I can’t get my husband to eat lots of fruits and veggies but I can get him to eat a healthier version of his favorite breakfast. Small victories! I add a little more chocolate chips on top- it's all about the presentation!
When making these muffins I love to use these silicone muffin liners. I absolutely love them. They make cleanup so much easier! The muffins slide out of the silicone liner with ease and they are simple to wash. I usually let them sit in water for a bit before I wash them and the leftover muffin just slides right off. I highly recommend these if you like to bake like I do!
If you’re going to be baking with a lot of honey, this is the best bang for your buck. I used to go through so many small jars- and honey is not cheap! I’ve had this jar for about 2 months and I am just now getting to the bottom.

Back to the muffins! I found this recipe here and I didn’t change too much from the original recipe. Of course I used my favorite coconut milk but any milk would work for these. I’ve even made them with water when I was in a pinch and they still turned out fab! The great thing about these is that if you don’t have very ripe bananas on hand you can replace it with 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce. They are great that way too, but Jay assures me that the banana version is quite a bit better. Don't be afraid of the massive amount of 100% dark cacao powder that go into these muffins. I promise you they won't be bitter!
Oats take the place of flour in this recipe. Now, you might be thinking to yourself, oats is for oatmeal not muffins! Wrong. Oats have lots of nutritional benefits and since I know some of you are dying to know what they are I will summarize what I read about oats this article. You’re welcome.
  1. Oats are a good source of carbs and fiber.
  2. Oats can improve blood sugar levels.
  3. Since oats are so filling, it can help you lose weight- heyyyy
There are many more benefits that you can read about here, but these three I thought were the most intriguing.
I found that the easiest way to grind the oats was in my nutribullet. You don’t need a big fancy blender, but if you have one that will work too! They take about 30 seconds to grind up to a powdery consistency, so it’s nice and quick!
Eating healthy doesn’t have to mean that you can no longer indulge in your favorite things. Eating healthy to me means making conscious choices about the ingredients you’re using while baking or cooking. By making simple switches in ingredients, food can still have all the delicious flavor without the high fat, calories, and carbs. 
If you try this recipe let me know how you liked it!! Thanks for reading!
 



print recipe
Chocolate Chip Banana Oat Muffins

Refined sugar and flour free! What's not to love?
Ingredients
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsps vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk (or milk of choice)
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 1/2 cups oats
  • 2 tsps baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsps dark chocolate cacao powder
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Instructions
1. Mash bananas. 
2. Add all wet ingredients to the mashed bananas and whisk together until fully combined.  
3. Grind 1 1/2 cups of the oats until they are a powdery consistency.  
4. Add the oats, ground oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cacao powder to the mashed banana mixture. 
5. Whisk until completely combined.  
6. Fold in the chocolate chips. 
7. Pour batter into a greased muffin tin or silicone baking inserts. 
8. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. 
9. Let cool and then enjoy!

Details
Prep time:  
Cook time:  
Total time:  
Yield: 8 jumbo muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment