Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Spinach Frittata

Let me just start by saying, you’re welcome. This frittata will be one of your new go to breakfast recipes. It tastes like you’re eating a pizza but without the grease, cheese or crust; i.e. everything not healthy. It is AMAZING.
For my birthday, Jay got me the Whole30 cookbook, which I have been asking for at least once a week- thanks babe! The first recipe I tried was this one and I am so happy I did. Not only is it a perfect breakfast but I find myself having a little slice after I workout. It’s just the right amount to replenish my body after sweating everything out. I typically reach for fruit or some kind of carb after I’ve exercised, but I don’t want to jumpstart my body with sugar anymore. The frittata kept me full until my next meal and didn’t leave me craving chocolate within the hour- because let’s be honest, who doesn't crave chocolate?! 
I’ve done the Whole30 twice and I love the way I felt about two weeks in. Prior to doing the Whole30 the first time I drank a glass of full fat milk daily, cheese with everything (and I mean everything), and had to have chocolate after dinner every night. I had lots of headaches throughout the month and my stomach was upset at least twice a week, for no specific reason. I knew I needed to make a change. I first heard about the Whole30 through one of my favorite bloggers, Katy. She is the sweetest person, definitely go follow her blog! After seeing her go through the process I decided to give it a try.
If you’ve never done the Whole30, the rumors are true. It is hard. You will crave sugar. You may even break down and cry. However, you are stronger than you think. You CAN do it. And it DOES get easier.
The first week was pretty easy, but by day 7 or 8 I was feeling really cranky. I wanted to eat cheese and chocolate so badly, but I didn’t give in to the cravings. Luckily Jay did it with me so we had each other to lean on. I highly suggest having someone to go through this with you, it really does help! By day 12 I felt so amazing. My stomach didn’t hurt at all, I had way more energy and my headaches were nonexistent. After my 30 days I realized that I didn’t need chocolate before bed or cheese on everything. I completely stopped drinking full fat milk and rarely put cheese on my home cooked meals.
The best part was that I lost 14 pounds! Can you believe that?! Now by no means is this supposed to be a diet for weight loss, that was just an added bonus. The second time I did the Whole30, about a year later, I lost about 5 pounds but I was also working out a lot more frequently. The second round was SO much easier. I think it was because I knew what to expect and how awesome I was going to feel while eating so much cleaner.
So enjoy this frittata and be kind to your body, it’s the only one if you have. If you want to try the Whole30 and have more questions please feel free to ask away! Happy eating!



print recipe

Spinach Frittata - Whole30
Perfect breakfast frittata filled with healthy ingredients.
Ingredients
  • 6 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tbsp cooking fat (I used coconut oil)
  • 1/2 diced onion
  • 1 cup diced seeded tomato
  • few slices of tomato
  • 9 ounces baby spinach
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 2. Whisk the eggs with salt and pepper and set aside.3. Preheat a skillet on medium heat and add the coconut oil, or preferred cooking fat. Add the onions and diced tomatoes to the pan. Cook about 3 minutes, or until the onions are tender and translucent. 3. Add the roughly chopped spinach to the pan and stir it until the spinach has wilted and is well incorporated with the onions and tomatoes.5. Add this mixture into the whisked eggs and stir until well combined. 6. Transfer the mixture into a greased 9 inch pie plate and top with sliced tomatoes. 7. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the center is set.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 9 inch pie

Recipe from The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom 

No comments:

Post a Comment