Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Food Prep for the Week

Food prep. This can be an intimidating phrase if you’ve never prepped food for a longer period of time. I know that when I first started prepping food I felt very overwhelmed and didn’t know where to start. Lucky for you, I’ve gotten the hang of things and I am here to share with you some tips and tricks to food prep!
The first thing you must do prior to going to the grocery store is make a list. I find that planning out all meals and making sure my pantry is stocked is really helpful. I keep a running list on my phone of what I need. I am constantly writing notes and reminders on my phone or I would never remember a thing! Bless you iphone, I would seriously be lost without you!

After you have the list it is time to shop. I do most of my grocery shopping in the produce section and then stock up on things like eggs, coconut milk (you know I can’t do without that), flours, and canned goods. I like to keep yams, beets, corn, and diced tomatoes on hand for easy nights. Sometimes I run out of vegetables for dinner by the weekend and so these come in handy.
When I get home the first thing I do is clean out my fridge. This is a step that can be so easy to overlook. I go through my produce drawers and chuck anything that didn’t get eaten. Often times it is things like half an onion, a piece of fritatta or the prior night’s leftovers. I like to do this for two reasons. It keeps the fridge smelling good, and it keeps my fridge more organized. Since I am about to load it up with lots of containers, and empty fridge is much easier to rearrange than a full one!

I typically wash all my fruits and vegetables, even if I am not cutting them up. I like to put them in small glass containers to store them in the fridge. I got these at Marshalls and I am so happy I did. They don’t absorb the smell of onions or get stained from berries. I recommend investing in some of these. I found some similar here.

I also hard boil a dozen eggs and make a batch of muffins for Jay for breakfast. I know what you’re thinking; Kayt - that is a lot of work after a trip to the grocery store! I know, I know but it is 100% worth it!! By putting in the hour of food prep I save myself so much time when I go to make lunch and dinner the rest of the week.

Let me know if you do food prep. What are your favorite things to prep? Any suggestions? Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment