Friday, July 28, 2017

Juicy Garlic Burger with Sweet Potato Buns

Summer means lots of cookouts which could lead to an overload of greasy foods wrapped in carbs. I typically don’t eat frozen burgers because I just don’t love the taste of them. But I do love homemade burgers, especially when my husband grills them on the grill - as if that wasn’t obvious, where else would you grill?! If you love getting together with friends and family but hate the way you feel after you gorge yourself full of unhealthy (but usually oh so tasty) food, then this recipe is for you!
I make my burgers using ground beef, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. That’s it. They are SO delicious. The flavors of the garlic and worcestershire sauce go perfectly together. I like to top my burger with an over-easy egg which will shock my father. As a kid, I hated cooked egg yolks. The chalky texture and yellow color really freaked me out. As an adult I still hate cooked egg yolks, I even throw them out when I make hard-boiled eggs (insert monkey emoji covering eyes). I do however enjoy a runny egg yolk on my burger. I find that the soft egg yolk has much more flavor than it does when it is cooked. Anyone else feel me? On top of the egg I place a few slices of avocado. My favorite is when they are perfectly ripe and soft to the touch - excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my chin (LOL).
Now I usually skip the bun and wrap my burger in lettuce to take its place. However, I recently received the Whole30 book as a gift (thanks babe) and I found these sweet potato buns. I really like the flavor that sweet potatoes have because you can eat them plain or dress them up, both equally scrumptious. These were seriously so easy to make. All you do is heat up some coconut oil in a pan, fry the thickly sliced sweet potatoes on each side for about 4 minutes or until tender, top with a little bit of salt and voila you have a way healthier version of a classic bun for your burger. My burger was so large that I had to use a fork and knife to eat it but my husband dove right in and ate it like a typical burger. I wish I would've gotten pictures of it because it was quite hilarious.

I am always joking with my friends about how my husband is a very picky eater. Whenever I make something new his response is typically “great” and it is filled with somber undertones of sarcasm. I was anxious to hear his thoughts on these buns and to my surprise he loved them. He even ate the leftovers! If you have a picky eater, I encourage you to keep trying new recipes and foods with them. I’ve introduced foods to Jay that he never thought he would eat in a million years. Preparing fresh foods and cooking them correctly really makes such a difference when it comes to flavor.


How do you dress up your burger or make cookouts a healthier place to eat? Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment